This is on the list as a meal prepping favorite! The best part about this dish is that it’s versatile. Once you cook and shred the chicken in the crockpot, you can choose any veggies, any sauce, and a grain.
I like that you can just set the chicken in the crockpot with some broth and seasoning and let it cook while you work, enjoy time with kids or get some house chores done.
For this recipe, I used 4 chicken breasts, 3 cups of chicken broth and just salt and pepper. I like the broth because it holds the flavor and the chicken marinates in it as it cooks. You can also use any other seasonings you like.
Buffalo Chicken and Veggies with Quinoa
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 7 hours (crockpot and finishing in the skillet)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- quinoa (decide based on how many servings you need)
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Grab a crockpot to get this meal started. Add in the chicken breasts, 3 cups of chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set it on low for 6 hours. That’s the key to keeping this chicken juicy for meal prepping. I reuse this chicken throughout the week so it’s important to keep it juicy.
- After the 6 hours is done, using two forks or shredding claws, shred the chicken and put the lid back on the crockpot. Let it cook for another 20 minutes so the shredded chicken can absorb some of the broth flavors as well.
- While that’s cooking, begin cooking your quinoa according to what the package says.
- During that same time, begin chopping up your bell peppers and onions.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add the olive oil and toss in the peppers and onions.
- Cook them for a few minutes until they begin to brown.
- Using tongs, add in some chicken to the skillet. I use about half of the chicken and reserve the other half for later in the week. If you need to use it all, you might want to add in some more bell peppers and onions.
- Add in some salt and pepper to taste to the skillet and continue to cook the chicken and peppers on medium-low.
- Add in the minced garlic, 1/2 cup chicken broth and soy sauce and stir it all together.
- Stir in the buffalo sauce to get it all combined and mixed together. I remove a cup or two prior to adding the buffalo sauce for my kids. They prefer bbq sauce.
- Now start to assemble! In a bowl, add a handful of chopped romaine lettuce, a spoonful of quinoa and a cup or so of the shredded chicken mixture.