When it comes to weeknight meals, I love making it in one skillet. It’s easy clean up and the flavors all really come together nicely when the whole meal is cooked together the whole time. This dish is cheesy, packed with delicious sausage and crunchy peppers.
And you KNOW, I used my Always Pan for this. It’s nonstick, a great size for a family of four. To keep the dish colorful, I include alllllll of the beautiful bell peppers, but if you prefer just red or just green, go for it.
For the protein, I used polska sausage, but you can use chorizo if you prefer. This dish is really versatile so whatever goes! Add in some sliced jalapeños to the peppers even!
Sausage and Tortellini
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 polska sausage, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbs cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in the bell peppers, onion and cook them for a few minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and sausage, stir and continue cooking for a couple more minutes.
- Add in the cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and stir.
- Next up comes the tomato paste and chicken broth. Stir, stir, stir until the tomato paste is all reduced down and it’s a liquidy broth. Bring to a boil for a few minutes.
- While that’s bubbling, boil the tortellini for a few minutes until done and then drain.
- Give the saucepan a stir and add in the heavy whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce. Stir and continue to cook on medium.
- Fold the tortellini into the sausage mixture and slowly stir so the sauce doesn’t spill out, but you want to coat all of the noodles.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top and slowly stir again. Let it all melt and then serve!