I’m sure you’ve seen some version of a tater tot breakfast casserole while you’re surfing Pinterest. I found this recipe years ago and it’s been one I love making here and there when I need to have a prepped breakfast. The recipe called for bacon I think (it’s been a long time), but I’m more of a sausage gal so I’ve been making it with ground Jimmy Dean sausage.
There aren’t a lot of ingredients to this dish so it’s great when you don’t feel like running to the store. You only need frozen tater tots, eggs, cheese, ground sausage (or bacon), minced garlic, milk, salt and pepper. I also add in some onion powder and paprika, but that’s optional. I’ve actually used frozen fries instead tots one time because I was out of tots so when I say this dish is flexible, I mean it!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage
- 1/2 of a 28 oz bag of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs onion powder (if your tots are pre-seasoned, don’t add onion powder)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, add the sausage in and cook until browned.
- Add frozen tater tots (half of the bag), cheese, and garlic to the skillet and stir until it’s all combined.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Grease a casserole dish and pour the sausage and tot mixture into the dish. Using a spatula, smooth it out flat.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and using the handles, rotate the dish so the egg covers the whole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and tater tots are crunchy looking.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then serve!