One skillet– count me in, always. Also, fresh mozzarella, always.
Chicken Parmesan should always be simple. It’s a go-to weeknight meal and it’s also great for leftovers. The chicken needs to be thin so be sure to flatten it out prior to breading it. It’s so easy so I let the kids help bread the chicken.
I like using a cast iron skillet, but any oven safe skillet works. The sauce is key as well. It needs plenty of sauce. You’ll want chicken, sauce and cheese in every bite!
Let’s get cooking.
Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp water
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 tsp parsley, reserve 2 tsp to the side
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups tomato sauce (I use Ragu)
- 8oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your halved chicken, and using a rolling pin or mallet, flatten your chicken to under half an inch.
- Using three shallow dishes, use one for flour, use one of the egg and water and then use the other for breadcrumbs, 2 tsp parsley, oregano and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Coat the chicken in flour, then egg and then the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs butter in the cast iron skillet over medium-heat.
- Cook the chicken in the skillet, two at a time until they’re cooked through. You’ll flip the chicken after a few minutes so both sides cook evenly. Remove them from the skillet and set aside.
- Add two cups of tomato sauce to the skillet and then place the 4 pieces of chicken on top of the sauce.
- Add the last cup of tomato sauce on top of the chicken and then it all warm up together.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp parsley on top of the sauce.
- Top the skillet with the fresh mozzarella and the remaining tsp of parsley.
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake it for around 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is all melted.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and top with the 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.