This skillet to oven dish is so easy! Just a few steps and you have it prepped for the week or ready to eat right then.
For the chicken, you can either grab a rotisserie chicken or cook boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours and then shred. I made this on a Sunday and opted to cook them in the crockpot. I just think I get more chicken when it’s straight from chicken breasts instead of off the bone, but whatever is easiest for you!
When cooking the chicken in the crockpot, I thaw them first so it can absorb the spices and broth right off the bat. In terms of broth, I use 2 cups low sodium chicken broth. I opt for this over water because I think it gives it some great flavor. I also sprinkle salt, pepper and Italian seasoning over the chicken. Put the top on the crockpot and let the flavors all cook together for 6-8 hours on low and then shred. From there, it’s ready for the casserole dish!
As I mentioned, this dish is super simple and uses ingredients that are ready to go.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Prep time: If making chicken in crockpot around 6-8 hours. If using rotisserie chicken, it lessens prep to about 5 minutes to pull it off the bone | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: approx 30 minutes
- 1 to 1.5 lb shredded chicken, cooked
- 8-10 oz of noodles, cooked (I like to use spiral noodles because it’s more fun for casseroles I think)
- 24 oz jar of marinara (I use Ragu original)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, add in the noodles, chicken, sauce, cheese and seasonings.
- Stir it all together and let it all warm up. Don’t overcook since you’ll also end up baking it. This is just for the flavors to all combine and get mixed up.
- In a casserole dish, spread the mixture on the bottom, top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 350 for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese or store in the fridge in an air tight container to reheat later.
- NOTE: I spoon the mixture into a skillet with a little water to reheat it if I don’t have time to reheat in the oven.