I call this a “snack mix” dessert because you can use whatever cereal you have on hand as long as it’s not a ton of flavor…unless it’s like Reese’s puffs cereal and then have at it! I had Christmas Rice Krispies and Cheerios so that’s what I used. You can also use Chex Mix, Life, etc.
This dessert is a great one for kids to make as long as you oversee them warming up the butter, peanut butter and mini marshmallows. Don’t skimp on the peanut butter and marshmallow mixture! That’s where all of the gooey, delicious flavor comes from and also how it all sticks together.
You can use big M&Ms too. I only had mini for baking so I used that. Be sure to break the pretzel sticks in half. They evenly spread out that way and also make mixing easier. These are a great dessert to package up for neighbors as long as they don’t have peanut or chocolate allergies.
Holiday Snack Mix Squares
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Total time including time to chill: 30 minutes
- 2 cups pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 1 cup cheerios
- 1 cup Christmas Rice Krispies
- 1 cup mini M&M
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl, add the pretzel sticks, Cheerios, Rice Krispies and mini M&Ms. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan on low-medium heat, melt the butter and then add the peanut butter. Using a spatula, slowly stir it until it’s melted.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mini marshmallows and slowly stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the bowl of cereal and pretzels. Using a spatula, gently stir it until everything is coated and sticky.
- Pour the mixture into a pan– you can use a small pan and have thicker pieces or a larger pan and thinner pieces. I like them thick so I use a 9×9 pan.
- Put the pan in the fridge for them to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to eat, cut them into squares and serve!