In carrying on with another Thanksgiving side, this one has a lot of hidden flavors and textures. The quinoa adds a healthy whole grain along with protein and fiber. In general, this dish is pretty healthy and very filling. The squash and cranberries are sweet and I mix in a vinaigrette to give it a savory flavor. Together it’s delicious and a wonderful fall side. I use Ocean Spray dried cranberries in this dish so there’s no hassle with washing or cooking down cranberries.
When roasting the butternut squash, make sure it browns a little so it adds a little crunch and oven baked flavor. The colors of this dish are so beautiful!
Squash and Quinoa with Cranberries
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 of a butternut squash: peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup jalapeños, deseeded and chopped small
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs Greek Vinaigrette (or Balsamic)
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- While that’s preheating, grab a baking sheet and cover the sheet with aluminum foil. It makes clean up a little easier.
- Assemble the cubed butternut squash in a single layer on top of the foil.
- Drizzle the 2 tbs of olive oil on top and move around a little so all of the squash pieces are coated.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on the squash.
- Put them in the preheated oven for 25 -30 minutes (until they’re roasted and a little brown).
- While that’s roasting, that’s the time to make your quinoa. Make the quinoa as directed on the package to make the “2 cups cooked” noted above.
- Remove the quinoa from the stovetop to cool.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven once done and set aside to cool.
- While those are cooling, make the vinaigrette by adding the oil, vinaigrette, garlic, honey and mustard to a mixing cup.
- In a large bowl, add the squash, quinoa, cranberries and jalapeños.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top and gently stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Refrigerate since this should be served cold.
- When it’s time to eat, pour the mixture into your serving dish.