Sometimes making a roast in the crockpot needs to be spiced up a bit so with that, I created these spicy pork sliders. Warm meat that breaks apart nicely is a great alternative instead of deli meat roast beef. There’s more flavor when it cooks in a crockpot. Trust me!
I usually buy a big rolled pork shoulder roast, roll it out and then cut it in half. I use this as an opportunity to make two different roasts–two meals! For this specific meal, you’ll take the half of the roast and cut it into squares, like two-inch chunks.
Spicy Pork Sliders
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 7 hours (including crockpot cook time) | Total time: 7 hours and 15-20 minutes
- 1-2 lb pork roast, cubed (see above explanation)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 pck brown gravy
- 1 pck dry onion soup
- 6-9 Hawaiian rolls (depending on how much pork you put on each one), cut into tops and bottoms
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs bbq sauce ( I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 tbs beef broth
- 3-6 pieces of mozzarella cheese (I split each piece in half so each slider gets one half of a piece of mozz cheese)
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 1 tbs poppy seeds
- In a crockpot, add the raw pork cubes.
- In a cup, mix the water, brown gravy package and dry onion soup and pour over the pork. Give the pork a little stir so it coats every piece.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then turn the crockpot on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once the pork is completely cooked, now you can begin cooking the whole dish!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with cooking spray and then place the bottoms of the rolls in rows.
- Each bottom will get one piece of pork. To place the pork properly, you’ll take a fork to get it out of the crockpot and let the liquid drip off so it doesn’t make the bun soggy. Set the piece of pork on the bottom roll and then gently, and NOT TOO MUCH, pull the pork apart a little so it fans the whole bottom of the roll. Continue this on each bottom roll until all have pork on them.
- In a small bowl, mix the Dijon mustard, bbq sauce and beef broth until it creates a thick sauce.
- Place a dollop of the sauce on top of each piece of pork. Continue for each slider.
- Place one half piece of mozzarella on the top of each slider.
- Add the top roll to each slider.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and then add in the poppy seeds. Stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Brush the top of each roll with the butter and poppy seed mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Just enough to melt the cheese and slightly brown the top of the sliders.
- Serve immediately! Enjoy!