The smell of warm muffins in my house is one of my favorite things. But making the same kind gets really dull so I create a base muffin mix and then each time I make variations depending on what the kiddos want! The muffins I’m showing today are a mix of blueberries and then chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
It’s a great way for the kids to cook with you because it’s simple and easy to clean up!
Muffin Mix Recipe (makes 12 regular muffins):
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- For 6 of the 12 muffins, I needed 2 cups blueberries
- For 6 of the 12 muffins, I needed 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and using a fork, stir in the egg, milk and oil. Stir lightly and not too much, just until it’s combined. This helps with the consistency and texture.
- If you’re making two kinds of muffins, grab another medium bowl and pour half of the muffin mixture into the second bowl.
- One bowl of muffin mix gets the blueberries and the other bowl gets the chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Pour the mixtures in paper lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick that’s inserted comes out dry.