I’m still on the healthy train so I trying new ways to incorporate healthy dinners during the week. You can cook ground beef many ways, but this is a great one so add it to your list!
You can add this under a new 30 minute meal to try. I love the different textures of ground beef, sautéed broccoli with the sesame seeds. The sauce is a savory, sweet flavor and that’s what gives the rice some depth.
Ground Beef and Broccoli with Brown Rice
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- broccoli florets
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs water
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 3 cups of brown rice
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan on medium heat and cook the ground beef until browned.
- Push the cooked beef to the side of the pan and add the garlic and ginger to the other side to cook for a few minutes. Once it starts to sizzle, stir the beef, garlic and ginger all together.
- While that cooks for a couple minutes, in a medium mixing bowl, mix the broth, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and worcestershire sauce together.
- Pour that mixture into the saucepan with the beef and stir to incorporate.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets to the sauce pan and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Put the lid on after those 5 minutes and turn to medium low heat for about 5 more minutes.
- Once the broccoli is steamed, but still crunchy–in a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water and add that into the saucepan. Stir, stir, stir! It’ll begin to thicken which is what you want.
- Add in the sesame oil and seeds. Stir and let it cook for a few minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the brown rice.
- Spoon the ground beef and broccoli mixture on top of the brown rice and serve!