As a person from the midwest, I love meat and I enjoy cooking with it. Honestly, I don’t cook many main dishes without it. It might be because of how I was raised or that I like the taste of a nice grill mark. But after all the research around why plant based diets are so healthy for your body, I decided I would set a goal in 2020 to have one vegetarian meal a week. My husband isn’t too thrilled, but he’ll deal with it because he’ll get hungry. I’ve found some great recipes to try so I’m looking forward to getting the hang of it and then sharing new recipes with you once I get my feet wet.
To kick it off, I took three foods that I love and made breakfast muffins for the work week. These are SO yummy and filling. There’s nothing worse than eating breakfast and then your stomach starts grumbling an hour later. My kids even ate a couple with dinner one night so I mean, I’ll take that as a win!
Egg, Potato and Broccoli Breakfast Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 package Ore-Ida Potatoes O Brien with onions and peppers
- 10-12 eggs, whisked with salt and pepper
- broccoli florets, steamed and chopped up
- olive oil
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Heat up the olive oil in a skillet (medium heat) and pour half of the package of Ore-Ida potatoes into the skillet, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- While those are cooking, steam the broccoli florets, drain and then chop them up into small pieces.
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper to your preference. Note: you can also add other seasonings as well!
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and begin assembling each muffin starting with a spoonful of potatoes, spoonful of broccoli and then top with whisked egg. Repeat until muffins are assembled. You can also add shredded cheese if you’d like. I didn’t for this recipe.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until egg is cooked through.
- Enjoy or store in containers for meal prepping!