Do you remember the ham and bean soup that was really popular growing up? This soup is a play on that and with some veggies added, it’s healthy-ish and filling. It’s creamy and so comforting. You can use whatever veggies you have in your fridge. I used onion, red and orange bell peppers, garlic and zucchini. This 30-minute dinner works great for meal prepping.
White beans are packed with nutrients, especially fiber and protein. You could remove the kielbasa sausage and make this a vegetarian dish and it be just as filling. The power of a white bean!
Sausage and White Bean Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 kielbasa sausage, diced up into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15- oz can Great Northern white beans, drained and rinse
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and then add the chopped sausage pieces.
- Sauté for a couple minutes and then add in the onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper, stir and continue cooking until the onions and peppers soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the mixture and stir to coat. Stir for a couple minutes until the flour begins to brown and smell a little toasty.
- Slowly add the milk and stir until it smooths. It’ll begin to bubble and thicken. Continue to stir.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and beans.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for another 15 minutes until the beans are cooked and the flavors are perfectly married together.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!