Every week I get a delivery from Tomato Tony. He owns Tony’s Family Farms and delivers local farms’ veggies and fruits right to my door! I love knowing I’m supporting local businesses and also serving healthy, clean food to my family. I order the large box which comes with TONS of veggies and fruits. Check out his website to see what’s available this week.
Everything you see in this below recipe came from the box with the exception of the sausage, shrimp, noodles and seasonings. Amazing, right? Especially since things are so busy right now and I want to avoid running to every store.
Shrimp and Sausage with Veggies
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- handful of asparagus, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 20-25 small shrimp, deveined, peeled and tail off
- 1 polska kielbasa sausage, chopped into 1/2- in pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs mesquite seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 8-oz box of ziti pasta noodles
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients– all of it– olive oil, veggies, shrimp and sausage, seasonings. The only thing that you should keep out are the noodles.
- In a large pot, boil water and cook the noodles until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, add the tossed veggies, shrimp and sausage (not the noodles) and sauté on medium-high heat until everything is cooked nicely. Be careful so you don’t overcook the shrimp.
- Add in the noodles and stir.
- Cook for an extra few minutes.
- Serve immediately with baked french bread. I like to melt a little bit of butter and sprinkle parsley on top.
These veggies are beautiful and taste great! If you are in the STL area, you should reach out to Tomato Tony to try some of his residential boxes of fruits and veggies. He has large and small boxes based on the size of your family. We go with large, but that’s because I like cooking and we make most of our meals at home, including school lunches.