The weather hit 70 degrees the other night and naturally, I craved fall food. I wanted potatoes, but needed a protein. I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge that needed to be used so I shredded that and decided to make a scalloped potatoes dish and incorporate the shredded chicken. Working under pressure for a weeknight meal. That’s how it’s done! Get creative!
A homemade cheese sauce always makes it a little more like comfort food. I added some chili powder and a mix of gouda and cheddar cheese for some extra flavor.
Chicken Scalloped Potatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup grated gouda cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a mandoline, slice your potatoes into thin slices. Here’s my favorite mandoline.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk and season with salt and chili powder.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat stirring occasionally until it begins to thicken.
- Stir in the 2 cups grated gouda and 2 cups grated cheddar cheese. Slowly stir until all of the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Using an 8×8 or 9×9 casserole dish, place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan.
- Add 2 cups shredded chicken on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp oregano.
- Add half of the cheese mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Repeat those layers one more time.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.