If there is one thing I love on the grill–okay maybe two things, it’s pork steaks and jalapeño poppers. The key to cheesy filled and crispy poppers is to completely wrap the popper with bacon so the cheese doesn’t ooze out. Don’t skimp on the cream cheese mixture either, that makes the whole popper.
Want know a random ingredient that I add to my cream cheese mixture? Taco seasoning. TRUST! It adds a tangy flavor that with just a small amount, you can taste it.
I like to use a grill plate for these when they’re open face down in case the cheese starts to get loose, but it’s not a must. I cook them open face down for 6-7 minutes and then flip them to open face up for 15-20 minutes depending on how big the jalapeños are and how thick the bacon is. Thick bacon is my preference so I usually lean toward 20 minutes on the second side.
Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 5 Jalapeño poppers, sliced long ways and deseeded
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices of bacon, thick or thin- (I prefer thick)
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- While that’s heating up, slice and deseed your jalapeños and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, garlic powder, cheddar cheese and taco seasoning. Stir until combined.
- To assemble, grab a half of a jalapeño and spoon a hearty amount of the cheese mixture into the “bowl” shape of the jalapeño.
- Wrap that in one piece of bacon ensuring the cheese is completely covered. As the bacon cooks, it’ll shrink and the cheese will begin to show, but to start, you want it completely covered.
- Continue assembling the rest of the poppers.
- Grab your grill plate and lay the poppers cut side down and set it on the grill. Close the lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Open the grill and using tongs, flip the poppers over and set them on the higher shelf on your grill so they can cook without getting burnt, but also crisp up nicely.
- After cooking on the other side for 15-20 minutes, remove from heat and enjoy!